Legal Counsel (Business Development & Origination)
We are a leading renewable energy trading company. Here curiosity energises constant innovation, fuelling our ambitions of powering the world as it transitions towards a sustainable future.
Welcome to our world of energy movers by nature.
We are a global renewable energy trading company which helps move energy from source to use powering businesses, homes, and societies as they transition to a new sustainable energy future. Across 7 offices on two continents, our +600 passionate and highly skilled energy experts help our clients buy and sell energy, helping make both affordable and sustainable living possible. We are part of Centrica plc, operating with main offices in London and Aalborg.
The purpose of this role is to primarily provide legal support and management of matters for our origination business which has a strong focus on the renewable energy.
We’re a profitable and agile company that understands the necessity of investment to achieve success. If you’ve got the willingness, ambition and right attitude, we offer a working environment that will help you grow on both a professional and personal level. You’ll get first hand experience within the energy sector and within an international trading business with a proven track record and ambitious growth strategies. We offer flexible working hours and locations alongside a positive working environment characterised by expertise, responsibility and innovation and great opportunities to make your mark and influence decisions.
This role will report directly into the Head of Legal for Origination and the successful candidate can perform this role from our office in either London (United Kingdom) or Aalborg or Copenhagen (Denmark).
About the Role:
The job holder will be required to manage a varied legal work load. Key areas will include:
- Providing strategic legal advice to the business to assist with the negotiation of energy related agreements
- Contract drafting and negotiation in co-operation with the business
- Participating in project groups / working groups giving legal advice / assessment
- Working with Contract Management team and Credit team in relation to our portfolio of existing contracts
- Providing general corporate and commercial advice to the business including in relation to PPAs, NDAs, exclusivity agreements, guarantees and letters of credit and PoAs
- Supporting EM&T’s growth strategy and new business initiatives in the form of new products, processes and entry into new jurisdictions
- Assessing applicable forthcoming legislation changes (in conjunction with Regulatory Affairs and Compliance as appropriate) and advising EM&T on potential impact and risk mitigations
- Working with EM&T’s renewables certificates team responsible for trading green certificates
- Managing pre-litigation disputes and more complex dispute resolution with external counterparties
- Contributing to various initiatives within the EM&T and Centrica Group legal teams
- Instructing and working with external counsel.
The role has close interaction with the Origination, Trading and Contract Management teams as well as other functions such as Compliance, Credit, Business Control and Regulatory Affairs.
- Law qualification is required
- Previous in-house experience is desirable but not essential
- Ideally have experience from the energy / commodities sector with experience in gas and power trading and/or power production asset management or another relevant sector
- Our legal function are proactive – integrated throughout the organisation as an enabler and supporter of the business. It is commercially oriented and service focused.
The Legal Counsel will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Drafting, structuring and negotiating of commercial contracts
- Co-ordinating and managing the development and administration of large and complex legal/commercial matters, and securing appropriate input from multiple stakeholders and sources
- Managing Centrica’s overall legal risk position by ensuring that contracts reflect best practice
- Demonstrating sound judgement by taking account of, and understanding, EM&T’s strategic goals and business needs and providing high performance and delivery levels to the business
- The ability to clearly explain legal risks to allow for clear understanding and decision making, develop sound mitigation strategies and find acceptable and innovative commercial solutions within acceptable legal and risk frameworks
- Solid communication skills and a willingness and ability to be a strong team player
- Working closely with internal parties to ensure clarity of understanding of the commercial and legal requirements of business activities
- Instructing and managing external legal advisors/consultants when their assistance is required; and maintaining a professional awareness of legal developments affecting the energy industry, compliance issues and future trends within that industry.
At Centrica we embrace diversity and actively seek to attract individuals with unique backgrounds and perspectives. To build a more sustainable future, we need the best team – a team with a diverse mix of people and skills, where everyone feels welcome and able to succeed. We are dedicated in helping to close the diversity gap and would love to see more females, people of colour and LGBTQ+ employees, as well as those from a variety of cultures and ethnicity to veterans and the differently abled. Supporting diversity and inclusion is a big part of who we are, we are not looking for people to fit into our culture but to add to it!